Now is the time of year where we all have made it through to the last stretch of the first semester of school. With 2020 right around the corner, December is a great time to recognize and reward others for their hard work this year. As expected, there are multiple midterms and finals that face all students before the start of winter break. Usually, it is not uncommon to see your fellow FBLA members and peers anxious and frantic in the midst of preparing for tests. However, what if I told you that there are things that you and your chapter can do to help ease everyone’s nerves in this season?
It is my suggestion that FBLA chapters commit to service this month by hosting small events and get-togethers to help students relax before their exams. In order to organize a purposeful “de-stress event”, consider what types of things would help best soothe students in your school community. A few ideas for events to organize can be found in the list below:
List of “De-Stress Events”
- Decorate gingerbread cookies- Officers can bring frosting and sprinkles to make this activity a festive success. Furthermore, you can make this into a competition where the best cookie decorator wins a prize!
- Host a Hot Chocolate Party- gather together supplies to make this holiday drink, and bring together your peers one afternoon to enjoy it
- Photo Booth- with holiday signs and Santa hats where members can take pictures with their friends. It would also be fun to watch a holiday movie to allow your members the chance to unwind after a long semester.
- Karaoke Competition- find your favorite songs and let the world hear your tunes as you relax to the sounds of music
- Pet Therapy- partner with a local animal shelter and see if you can set up a date for students to visit and relax with adorable animal friends
- Nature Walk- select a trail or walking path near your school for students to go on; nature and exercise are great tools for boosting energy and happiness
- Finger Painting Party- get your creative juices flowing with simple, but helpful finger painting activities (be sure to try out holiday-themed drawings!)
- Modified Tutoring Sessions- use your chapter’s resources of knowledge to provide a scheduled tutoring session for students; be sure to interrupt tutoring with fun icebreakers in between
- Community Service- Using this event as a way to do community service is a great way to give back in the holiday season. Members can be encouraged to bring a toy to donate to children in need in the holidays or your chapter can collect canned goods to donate to a local food shelter.
I hope that you have the opportunity to try out at least one of these ideas before final exams this year. Remember to study hard and also find time to give your mind a healthy break! Don’t forget to hashtag all of your exciting social event posts with #GAFBLA so members all across the state can see the fun things your chapter is doing!