The Chapter of the Year submission deadline is fast approaching. Now is the time to top off your membership and earn those last few points for membership recruitment. Here are some ways to help you end the year strong:
FBLA Week: FBLA week is the second week of February and an excellent opportunity for your chapter to recruit members. By having a unique event every day of the week, you should be able to attract more members to your chapter. Some sample activities that you can do for recruitment through out the week is suggested in the link below:
End of the Year Social: The name says it all. A social is a great way to encourage current members to return to membership next year, celebrate members who are moving on to the State Leadership Conference, and even attract more members to join your chapter. Make it fun and have members invite friends to bring along with them.
Encourage Members to Pay: The membership registration deadline is only 2 months away. If you currently have any members that have not payed yet, it is now a great time to put pressure on them to pay their dues. If they are not paid members by April, then they are not considered registered members for your chapter for this year.
Happy New Year! It’s a new year, a new semester, and a new opportunity for your chapter to recruit more members. This is the beginning of the second semester of the school year and a busy competition and conference season for FBLA. The two best ways to recruit new members in January is a combination between targeted recruitment and getting the word out about the conferences.
Targeted Recruitment: After first semester ended, many other clubs and organizations, such as marching band, football, and other fall-related activities, have become less active. This leads to new groups of potential members that will have less to do and therefore less that conflicts with FBLA activities. If you would like some recruitment methods to help you along, please refer to previous membership recruitment idea of the month articles.
Conferences: January is the month where regional leadership conferences are occurring all across the state. You can use these conferences as a focal point for recruitment. By having current members attend the conference and sharing their experience at them, you can inspire other members to join. I would recommend either having attendees talk about their fun experience or even having a meeting dedicated to conference results.
The first semester is almost over, but that does not mean that your membership recruitment efforts should stop. There are still many opportunities for your chapters to increase their memberships as we get ready for the second half of the school year.
One effortless way to recruit members for the coming year is to increase your public presence in your school. By increasing your presence you can make the other members of your school more aware of FBLA’s existence and what we do as an organization. This can attract many new members as well as opportunities for your chapter.
Here are some ways to increase your chapter’s presence in your school:
- Posters and Flyers: This is the prototypical way of increasing presence, and there is a reason that it continues to be one of the most used ways to advertise. It is relatively effortless to execute as you can utilize the posters your chapter received from Georgia FBLA in conjunction with simple graphics about recent developments in your local chapter.
- Announcements: By having your chapter’s upcoming events announced on your school’s method of communication whether that be through morning announcements, local newspaper, or any other way of reaching the members of the school, you can keep your current members attentive and updated while bringing the actions of FBLA to the attention of non-members in your school.
- Social Media: Another easy way to increase your chapter’s presence is by using social media. By posting information about your chapter’s recent activities, you can keep members up-to-date while reaching other possible members.
As the first golden leaves of fall hit the ground, it is a golden time for you and your chapter to recruit more members. October is the perfect opportunity to host social events for your membership that can encourage new members to attend while keeping old members attentive and active. Here is a list of events that you can host in October to give the extra boost to your membership:
- Halloween Social/Party: Nothing beats the traditional Halloween social. It’s a fun event that will help attract new members while helping them get to know the other members of your chapter. Having members donate candy and other snacks lightens the load on the chapter budget, and you can have members help with the decoration and setup. This is a perfect and easy afterschool activity that promises fun and new members.
- Haunted House: Nothing brings members together like a trip to a local haunted house. Organize the trip and encourage members to bring their friends. As they get know each other through the trip, they will be more inclined to join your FBLA chapter. If visiting the haunted house trip isn’t enough, you can even work with your chapter to create your own haunted house and give discounts to members which would entice more people to join to get the discount.
Since it is now second semester you can begin your second wave of recruiting! Most schools have a “Rising 9th Graders Night” where eighth graders come to the feeder high school to meet teachers and administrators. This is a wonderful opportunity to set up a table to recruit members for next school year. Give out brochures, competition information, and even some candy! This will make sure you have new members for next year and start off 2017 with a BANG!