The first semester is almost over, but that does not mean that your membership recruitment efforts should stop. There are still many opportunities for your chapters to increase their memberships as we get ready for the second half of the school year.
One effortless way to recruit members for the coming year is to increase your public presence in your school. By increasing your presence you can make the other members of your school more aware of FBLA’s existence and what we do as an organization. This can attract many new members as well as opportunities for your chapter.
Here are some ways to increase your chapter’s presence in your school:
- Posters and Flyers: This is the prototypical way of increasing presence, and there is a reason that it continues to be one of the most used ways to advertise. It is relatively effortless to execute as you can utilize the posters your chapter received from Georgia FBLA in conjunction with simple graphics about recent developments in your local chapter.
- Announcements: By having your chapter’s upcoming events announced on your school’s method of communication whether that be through morning announcements, local newspaper, or any other way of reaching the members of the school, you can keep your current members attentive and updated while bringing the actions of FBLA to the attention of non-members in your school.
- Social Media: Another easy way to increase your chapter’s presence is by using social media. By posting information about your chapter’s recent activities, you can keep members up-to-date while reaching other possible members.
We are off to a wonderful start to the year with many chapters across the state recruiting members old and new, but did you know that you can be recognized at state and even national levels for your outstanding recruitment efforts?
Here is a list of all the awards that you or your chapter can attain for your stellar membership efforts:
- Market Share Award – Recognizes chapters at schools where a high percentage of a student body joins FBLA.
- Membership Ladder – Recognizes chapters that increase their membership over last year’s totals (must have had an active chapter in 2015-2016 to qualify).
- Membership Achievement Award – Recognizes chapters that maintain or increase membership.
- Chapter Checkpoint – Chapters that exceed last year’s final membership number by November 1 will receive a special membership ribbon at FLC.
- 100% Class Participation Award – Recognizes advisers who recruit all students in a single class to become FBLA members.
- Membership Multiplier – Recognizes chapters that charter/reactivate by October 1.
- Domino Effect (NEW)– Recognizes individuals who recruits others who in turn recruit more people. (rewards members for chain recruitment efforts)
- 100% Membership Excellence Awards – Recognizes advisers who recruit all students in all of their classes during the entire year to join FBLA.
- 20 and 15 Campaign – Chapters that increase their membership by 15 members or 20% (minimum increase of 10 members) by March 1 will be recognized with a special membership ribbon at SLC. Chapters must have been active during 2015-2016 to qualify.
- Local Recruitment of Chapters – Recognizes chapters that charter or reactivate FBLA and ML chapters.
- All Star Chapter Challenge Campaign – Recognizes chapters that have at least 100 members, increase their membership by at least 15 members, and, recruit at least 10 Professional Division members.
- Started from the Bottom Campaign – Recognizes our small chapters (less than 20 members in previous year) who increase their membership by at least 10 members.
As the first golden leaves of fall hit the ground, it is a golden time for you and your chapter to recruit more members. October is the perfect opportunity to host social events for your membership that can encourage new members to attend while keeping old members attentive and active. Here is a list of events that you can host in October to give the extra boost to your membership:
- Halloween Social/Party: Nothing beats the traditional Halloween social. It’s a fun event that will help attract new members while helping them get to know the other members of your chapter. Having members donate candy and other snacks lightens the load on the chapter budget, and you can have members help with the decoration and setup. This is a perfect and easy afterschool activity that promises fun and new members.
- Haunted House: Nothing brings members together like a trip to a local haunted house. Organize the trip and encourage members to bring their friends. As they get know each other through the trip, they will be more inclined to join your FBLA chapter. If visiting the haunted house trip isn’t enough, you can even work with your chapter to create your own haunted house and give discounts to members which would entice more people to join to get the discount.
Model High School Chapter 434 reached the milestone mark of one-hundred members for the second year in a row. To celebrate, each member has been invited to stop by our student-led coffee shop for a free ice cream. Go Blue Devils!
Sonoraville High School Future Business Leaders of America participated in the annual homecoming parade in Fairmount, Georgia on September 15, 2016. This is the first time in the organization’s history that FBLA has participated by having a car in the homecoming parade. Business students and FBLA members dressed up to get in the homecoming spirit. Officers chosen to ride in the parade were state officer Catherine Farist and local officers Joann Graves and Harley Craig. Following the parade, they attended the pep rally and bonfire.