As the first golden leaves of fall hit the ground, it is a golden time for you and your chapter to recruit more members. October is the perfect opportunity to host social events for your membership that can encourage new members to attend while keeping old members attentive and active. Here is a list of events that you can host in October to give the extra boost to your membership:
- Halloween Social/Party: Nothing beats the traditional Halloween social. It’s a fun event that will help attract new members while helping them get to know the other members of your chapter. Having members donate candy and other snacks lightens the load on the chapter budget, and you can have members help with the decoration and setup. This is a perfect and easy afterschool activity that promises fun and new members.
- Haunted House: Nothing brings members together like a trip to a local haunted house. Organize the trip and encourage members to bring their friends. As they get know each other through the trip, they will be more inclined to join your FBLA chapter. If visiting the haunted house trip isn’t enough, you can even work with your chapter to create your own haunted house and give discounts to members which would entice more people to join to get the discount.
Sonoraville High School Future Business Leaders of America participated in the annual homecoming parade in Fairmount, Georgia on September 15, 2016. This is the first time in the organization’s history that FBLA has participated by having a car in the homecoming parade. Business students and FBLA members dressed up to get in the homecoming spirit. Officers chosen to ride in the parade were state officer Catherine Farist and local officers Joann Graves and Harley Craig. Following the parade, they attended the pep rally and bonfire.
Now is the time to be recruiting new members! Take advantage of club fairs, utilize curriculum nights or parent visits to the school, and lookout for the freshman, especially those who were in Middle Level FBLA. Your chapter can win conference registrations and official dress items.
- Rally Roundup August 1 – September 30
- Operation October October 1 – 20
- Now in November October 21 – November 30
- December Draft December 1 – 31
- 17 in ’17 January 1 – February 28
This year we have a new addition to the Chapter Checkpoint and All-Start Membership Challenge called the Membership Ladder Campaign. Chapters that increase their membership from the previous year can qualify to win these prizes:
- 10 Member Increase: Ribbons for chapter members at SLC
- 25 Member Increase: Ribbons and glow necklaces for chapter members at SLC and a $25 Georgia FBLA voucher
- 50 Member Increase: Ribbons and glow necklaces for chapter members at SLC, a $50 Georgia FBLA voucher, and a plaque
- 100 Member Increase: Ribbons and glow necklaces for chapter members at SLC, a $100 Georgia FBLA voucher, a banner, and a Conference Season Pass for 2017-2018
Bleckley County High School, in conjunction with our other local CTSO’s, enjoyed a meet and greet filled with ice breakers, questions and answer sessions, snow-cones, and a water balloon war on the bus ramp! Everyone had a great time! We were able to reach nearly 75 potential members in our war time. I think we had as much fun cleaning up at the end as we did throwing water balloons at our friends. A great social event and membership drive event that may just become a yearly tradition!
Georgia FBLA has for the past 14 years in a row claimed the title of the Largest State Chapter in the Nation. It is all because of the recruitment efforts of the members, advisers, and chapters. Here are all the award and recognition opportunities you can receive for recruiting members to join FBLA!
Members can win the Membership Madness Award by recruiting 5 members and the Membership Mania Award by recruiting 10 members. Members can also become a Master Recruiter by recruiting at least 15 new members by November 1 and will win special privileges and opportunities at the Fall Leadership Conference.
Middle Level members receive the Body Snatchers I by recruiting 2 members or Body Snatchers II by recruiting 10 members.
Chapters can win a variety of different awards:
- Market Share Award – Recognizes chapters at schools where a high percentage of a student body joins FBLA.
- Membership Ladder (NEW) – Recognizes chapters that increase their membership over last year’s totals (must have had an active chapter in 2015-2016 to qualify).
- Membership Achievement Award – Recognizes chapters that maintain or increase membership.
- Chapter Checkpoint – Chapters that exceed last year’s final membership number by November 1 will receive a special membership ribbon at FLC.
- 100% Class Participation Award – Recognizes advisers who recruit all students in a single class to become FBLA members.
- Membership Multiplier – Recognizes chapters that charter/reactivate by October 1.
- 100% Membership Excellence Awards – Recognizes advisers who recruit all students in all of their classes during the entire year to join FBLA.
- 20 and 15 Campaign – Chapters that increase their membership by 15 members or 20% (minimum increase of 10 members) by March 1 will be recognized with a special membership ribbon at SLC. Chapters must have been active during 2015-2016 to qualify.
- Local Recruitment of Chapters – Recognizes chapters that charter or reactivate FBLA and ML chapters.
- All Star Chapter Challenge Campaign – Recognizes chapters that have at least 100 members, increase their membership by at least 15 members, and, recruit at least 10 Professional Division members.
- Started from the Bottom Campaign – Recognizes our small chapters (less than 20 members in previous year) who increase their membership by at least 10 members.
We wish you the best of luck in your recruitment efforts!